We have officially survived 2016. It was a pretty rough year, let’s all be honest, but we made it through. In 2016, I strove to say yes to more things and to be more positive. I’m not entirely certain I fully accomplished it, but I think I did pretty well. This year I am going with a similar, abstract theme for my resolution (and one concrete goal, too). In 2017, I plan to focus on one guiding principle: more. While vague in nature, I will be asking more of myself and my life in 2017. I have created a few different areas and which I hope to “more.”
If you have been following me recently, you will have noticed my monthly goals. This “more” concept will be replacing my old goal system and bring in a few more areas. This focus will help me grow all the areas of my life in an all-encompassing way.
- Be More: These are my wellness and self-care goals. They’ll tackle everything from hydration and sleep to working out and taking care of my body, soul, and mind.
- Develop More: These are my career and professional goals. I’ll spend time very month growing myself as a social strategist, writer, and networker.
- Learn More: This is my monthly trivia goal! One of my favorite parts of 2016; it’s here to stay.
- Try More: Like 2016, I want to keep saying yes and experiencing new things every month. This could be a new cuisine, work out class, activity, etc.
- Read More: I was all about books this Christmas. It has been a while since I was a big reader (probably middle school). I hope to awaken that part of me in 2017 and read at least 12 books.
- Cook More: A few of those Christmas books were some great cookbooks. This year, I hope to expand my culinary skills and master new recipes. I’ll be taking a cooking course in January to help push this goal.
- Give More: Registering people to vote and collecting cans at Friendsgiving were two of the most rewarding parts of my year. I want to give back even more this year! The world definitely could use it.
- Do More: 2017 is going to be the year I get more hobbies so I don’t have to say, “I work and watch a lot of TV.” When someone asks what I do for fun. Defined hobbies, here I come.
- See More: I watch a lot of reruns, y’all. I want to add a little more culture to my life by watching more “must-see” movies. Any suggestions?
- Hygge More: Hygge is a Danish word that means, in essence, “creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good people.” Each month this year, I will focus on a part of my home/environment to add a little more hygge to.
The other part of the “year of more” that I will be striving for is to be more me. So often in this world, we let our differences make us feel ashamed instead of making us feel special. In 2017, I will more unapologetically me and encourage you to be more you! Let’s celebrate the diversity in our world even when it’s as small as candle preference or as big as political beliefs. It has been a divisive year and we all need to get back to remembering that our differences are what guide our contributions into the world. I will no longer feel ashamed of my basic or petty differences. I will embrace fully the parts of me I love and work to change the parts of me I am not such a fan of. Look out for a Katherine in 2017 who is always early and probably listening to Taylor Swift.
All of the goals won’t be set at the beginning of the month as come may change and depend on other factors, but stay tuned to see what I accomplish in 2017!